The register accepts ships of all types, except High Speed Craft and offers the following benefits:
- Offices in both Antigua and in Germany spreading availability across a range of time zones to give you fast and effective service.
- 24 hours 7 days, all year service for registry and technical support.
- Options for both permanent registry, demise registry with the title and encumbrances registered in your country of choice and the ship flying the Antigua and Barbuda flag, or title and charges registered in Antigua and Barbuda and the ship flying another flag of your choice, giving you complete flexibility in managing the two functions and separating them if required.
- Modest fees.
- Simple procedures.
- A sound legal system based on English Maritime Law practice.
The requirements for registry are common to all vessel types. The full details are in the Merchant Shipping Act but in summary a vessel may be registered in Antigua and Barbuda if the owner is either:
- A Citizen of Antigua and Barbuda or of a Member State of the Caribbean Community or the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States.
- A legal corporate body in Antigua and Barbuda,
- A corporation registered under the International Business Corporation Act,
- A corporate body or a partnership concern registered elsewhere which is registered under the Companies Act.
A public body is authorised if it is established under and subject to the laws of Antigua and Barbuda and has its principle place of business in Antigua and Barbuda, or appoints a resident agent in Antigua and Barbuda and has at least 51% of its share capital held by citizens of Antigua and Barbuda while the majority of Directors are citizens.
Creating an IBC (International Business Company) under the International Business Corporation Act or registering an external company are the two easiest and simplest ways for international shipping companies to meet the ownership requirements. There are a number of companies locally in Antigua who can assist in arranging this and in setting up bareboat charter companies in Antigua for vessels registered as chartered bareboats. Click on the following link for further details https://www.abregistry.ag/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Company-Formation-Rev-5.pdf